The kitchen is the heart of the home for many families during the holiday season. With all of the preparations and excitement going on, keeping fire safety top of mind is essential. Most home fires are sparked by cooking mishaps in the kitchen and with Thanksgiving being a prominent time for large meals - the risks are higher. Whether you're basting the turkey, broiling a side dish or cleaning up a grease spill, be sure to add safety as your first ingredient!
The American Red Cross recommends taking these precautions:
- Do not wear loose clothing or dangling sleeves
- Know how to use a fire extinguisher & keep it near the kitchen
- Ensure that smoke detectors have working batteries
- Use a timer as a reminder for cooking food
- Keep children away from the cooking area and at least 3 ft. away from the stove
- Keep pot holders, oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packages and towels away from hot areas
- Regularly clean surfaces to prevent grease buildup
- Before leaving your home or going to bed, be sure all cooking appliances are turned off
Click here for details: http://www.redcross.org/news/article/Cooking-Safety-Tips-for-Thanksgiving-Chefs
BELFOR wishes you a happy and safe Thanksgiving!