This Valentine’s Day, as various parts of the country face different weather threats, BELFOR has a few reminders for keeping your loved one’s safety in mind.
At this time of year, love is in the air – and from Chicago to New York, so are snow and ice! To prepare for winter storms, home and business owners should do the following:
- To prevent ice dams, use a long-handed rake to remove snow on the roof
- Ensure heat is circulated properly throughout the home to prevent pipes from freezing
- Clear drain pipes and gutters of any leaves or branches
- Clear pathways and property entrances from snow and ice
In other parts of the country like California, things are heating up! When faced with an extreme heat wave, take the following steps to remain cool:
- Drink plenty of water to prevent heat-related illness
- Cover windows with drapes, shades or reflectors to keep cool air in
- Wear lightweight and light-colored clothing when outdoors
Hot or cold, winter or summer, you should always be prepared for severe weather by:
- Having a disaster kit ready to go, including water and non-perishable food, flashlights and batteries, medicines and first aid supplies, and more
- Knowing emergency contact information and evacuation plans
- Documenting any property damage with photographs and written records
By following these precautions, you and your loved ones can stay prepared and safe no matter the weather.